The full County Council has four scheduled public meetings each year. Its main purpose is to agree a budget and policy framework within which the Leader of Council and his Cabinet operate and council services are provided.
Below are some of the specific functions of the County Council - a full list and further details can be found in Somerset County Council's Constitution.
· Determining the policy framework for the Council
· Approval of the Council's budget and Council Tax requirement
· Appointing the Leader of Council and Committees/Sub-Committees of the Council and appointing members with special responsibilities
· Approving the Council's Constitution and meetings calendar
· The appointment of the Chief Executive
· A range of other functions, which by law, cannot be the responsibility of the Executive, e.g. regulatory
Please note - County Council Meetings are held in the Council Chamber, Shire Hall. The Council Chamber has a maximum capacity of 100 people, and this cannot be exceeded. There are approximately 20 - 25 public seating spaces. If numbers attending exceed capacity then priority will be given to those who have registered to speak at Public Question Time and thereafter admittance will be on a first come, first served basis.
For further information about County Council meetings contact Julia Jones or Jamie Jackson on 01823 357628 or 01823 359500
Support officer: Julia Jones on 01823 359027. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org